Sunday 16 October 2011

When It Is Cold Enough To Use The Good Ol' Outdoors To Refrigerate Your Liquids.



Okay so here is the super weird thing about today. It is October 16th and this is the day that I would have been arriving back in New Zealand after galavanting in Canada with family and friends if I had not stayed in Austria. I feel the need to reflect on the last four months of my life and tell you guys how incredible they have been and how grateful I am for all your support and emails letting me know what you guys are up to even though I am not ‘present’ in your life at the moment. The last four months of my life in Austria have been an unforgettable life changing experience and I am so glad that I got to stay here 3 months longer than I was supposed to. But it will be just that much harder to leave. But how weird is it that this morning I would have been hugging and probably crying at the airport as I gave everyone who was there the biggest best hugs of their lives but instead I was watching the sunrise across the Austrian Alps. (and then I skype Lorna :D)
Yes, this morning there was a wake up call at 5.40am where a small group of dedicated students (about 20 of us) headed out on the Tauernhof cars to a mountain somewhere, after a ridiculously horrible windy road that made me wanna hurl we got to the parking lot and walked for about 15 minutes to this super tiny church that someone had built on the mountainside (literally mountain SIDE and it was about big enough to hold like 5 people). The sun was just starting to make the sky light up so we sat there taking 500 million photos of everything, the same mountains but oh! The sun had moved up a little bit, takes another photo. It was a very slow sunrise but it was an incredible view and amazing company so it was okay. So the sun rose, as it does everyday only this time I saw it! As Emma and I bounded down the mountain we thought about all those poor souls down in the valley who were sleeping in bed and how awake and amazing our morning was. Everyone should go see a sunrise sometime in their lives.
There was Sunday breakfast as usual where I ate so much I still feel full. And eating a lot after going up and down a ridiculously horrible windy road is not a good idea.
Oh yea! Then there was yesterday where we went to Hallstatt; one of the oldest towns in Austria and it apparently dates back to 2000 BC! I know. Crazy. It is a stunning town sitting on this lake that is pretty much in a hole, surrounded by mountain cliffs. So we wandered around talking 500 million photos of everything. We ended up at this church on the hill and Kenton, Liz, Sian and I decided that it would be a good idea to pay 1.50 Euros to go into this tiny room that we heard had skulls in it. (Cool right? Well that is what we thought..) it is this tiny shack type room and it apparently had 1,200 skulls in it and they were all stacked up on this table that went around the room and under the table was body bones. It was really freaky but interesting all at the same time. There were some more photos, a waterfall, eating lunch while looking over the town, a lady telling us off for taking pictures in her store, an awesome store with a bunch of wood stuff, a ‘second hand store’ (in which I would use the term loosely as it was pretty much just this hole in the wall that some lady had put all her crap that she obviously didn’t want anymore in it and made a sign out of cardboard saying ‘Second Hand Store’). We went to a Cafe where we found this man who had glasses on that magnified his eyes to like a bagillion, so we got Kenton to stand awkwardly sorta behind him and were like ‘You want a picture with those mountains right?’ and stole a ninja photo of him. We also got sorta free cups! Well you bought a coffee and you got to keep the cup. Awesome right? Who doesn’t love a free mug. Oh yes there were also toilets that were sexist. The guys, if they just wanted to use the urinal didn’t have to pay the 50 cent fee. But girls, oh but the girls had to pay 50 cents either way. Rude right? I thought so too. But that brought about a rather humorous joke that I chuckled at. Wanna hear a joke? Woman’s Rights. Heh. Heh. Sorry if there are any women’s rights activists out there. It has to be said with just the right amount of sarcasm. In the evening a small contingent of us watched The Passion of the Christ, which is super intense. But it was really well done I must say.
Yea so not much else happening in my life; normal week where exciting things happen every day so it just blurs together and I can never remember them when I sit down to write my blog. Oh! We went to Salzburg last Saturday and I spend way too much money shopping... I went to Annina’s birthday gathering last last Friday.. Kendra came back to visit last weekend! She had just finished travelling around with Ben (who lives off 5 euros a day and sleeps under bridges, so she had a lot of interesting stories) and she came back to get her luggage before she headed back to the states so it was nice to see her again J. On Friday we had our social night and this time we played a Schladming wide game of Capture the Flag which was awesome! Emma and I took this super back route and ran into Thomas and Marc and joined them and we like climbed up the side of the Planai and were like running through these fields and slipping and falling over and jumped over this ditch creek thing into a bunch of mud and killed a fair few trees then we get to Tauernhof where the flag of the opposing team is on the volleyball court. Thomas and Marc jumped over the fence to check it out but people started coming so Emma and I had to move quick so we jumped down behind the Lecture hall where there is this like alley that is super dark and creepy and we are hiding behind the corner and we hear Sian and Michael discussing whether or not they should go down and check it out. It was actually quite funny to listen to cause Sian was freaking out and was saying “Michael why don’t you have your flashlight!” But in the end Michael sucked it up and came down the alley, much to mine and Emma’s silent protests and got caught. But it was an awesome journey getting there where my jeans and shoes and now saturated in mud. :D
Yes so that is all the stories I can think of telling they world.
Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment