Sunday 2 October 2011

From Staff to Student


So this last two weeks of life have been pretty interesting. I went through the transition from staff to student at Tauernhof which I have to admit is not super easy. You just feel super confused about where you are supposed to be all the time. So last week was spent trying to convince my brain that I was no longer a staff member meaning things like, I could no longer use the kitchen door to enter the main house, but the main entrance. I could no longer walk through the kitchen. I no longer go to staff prayer/devotion in the morning. No free item from the bistro!! And of course I didn’t spend my whole day with Lothar and my fellow kitchen girls. But being a student is also amazing although you don’t get the perks. On the plus you don’t have to clean as much! However for my daily duty they put me on cleaning, you could imagine how thrilled I was.
Anyway.. the lectures have been incredible and I am learning so much! Subtle as things that I never even knew where in the Bible just pop up and are like WOAH. How cool is that? Last week Hans Peter went through Genesis and Creation which was incredible and this week we had a guest speaker from England that was part of this company called Sports Reach and they go around the world and play soccer with people and share God’s word. They all had really awesome accents and it was the ‘veteran’ team or as they liked to say the ‘Classics’. So there were all these 30-60 year old English guys and it was hilarious.
My fellow students are awesome. 31 Canadians, 25 Germans, 9 Americans, 4 from the UK, 2 Dutch and 1 New Zealander. So there are a crap load of Canadians everywhere and there is just so much sarcasm and it is a beautiful thing. However Nat has told me that I need to tone the sarcasm down and build people up instead, so I am trying. It is hard when there is 40 ridiculously sarcastic beings surrounding you to resist the sarcastic pull.
As a student you entertain yourself during your free time with copious amounts of volleyball, reading, ping pong, bouldering, slack lining and of course crocheting, because really who doesn’t like crocheting? I have taught numerous others how to and am making touques and headbands for those unfortunate souls who can’t crochet at all or are just not epic enough to try. So last Saturday we went on a ‘hike’ where you climbed a couple stairs from the parking lot for about an hour and got to this glorious lake that was gorgeous. Those brave enough to jump in the freezing mountain water endulged themselves while the others watched and laughed at how cold they were. Then we had to walk all the way back to Tauernhof. That took us about 3.5 hours? Yea no big deal. My hips were numb by the end. But it was so great just walking down the valley, it wasn’t steep but just flat so it was a casual 3.5 hour stroll really. A few girls and I stopped at a hutte and enjoyed ourselves a skiwasser and continued back down.
On Friday, as part of the social committee we planned a very extravagant and extremely awesome game. So the social committee members (about 11 of us) hid all around Schladming and the rest of the students had to find us, we had to sign their arm for one point and their face for two points. Larry (aka Larissa) and I got real intense and disguised ourselves super ninja like. She wore a hoodie with a hat and glasses and I wore a touque with glasses and a huge puffy jacket and we sat in a dark corner with our heads down and our hands in our pockets. I would say that we looked pretty dodge. But I brought my crocheting! So there was that.. I have also enjoyed a few outings with the staff and kitchen girls, even though I am no longer staff and a kitchen girl. We went to Hans Peter’s house for coffee and cake for Marina’s birthday on Tuesday and last night we went up there again and just hung out and Nat and I baked banana bread and it was good. Now, this Saturday as in yesterday we did what I have been wanting to do all summer; hiked to Guttenburghaus and Sinabell.
For the last 3 months of my life there has been this mountain outside my beautiful window up in the Whitehouse and from that beautiful window your eyes fell upon a mountain. This mountain has a name and is called the Schikenspitzer and has a huge glorious cross that I could actually see from the window on top of it. To the right of that mountain you see this hutte; Guttenburg Haus. I had to look at this mountain every single day for 3 months and it stared and me and called out to me “MacKenzie, please come climb me. Climb meee. Come up here. Please.” Every. Day. So you could imagine my excitement when I walked past the list of ‘Saturday Outings’ and saw ‘Guttenburg Haus and Sinabell’. Now the Sinabell is no Schikenspitzer but it is a mountain that is high and awesome! The day started with all us students super hyped and pumped up for this hike ahead of us. We got there and started and after about 20 minutes many of us were like, gahh why am I doing this. 2 ½ hours later we reached the hutte. It was a glorious hike but probably the longest one of just continuous uphill that I have gone on so that was challenging but you just enjoy the company around you and the scenery and time flies; before you know it you are at the top! We ate our lunch at the hutte and enjoyed some skiwasser (pronounced she-wasser) while some enjoyed the Kaiser-schmarrn. It was such a beautiful hutte in such a beautiful spot as well. It was so cool to see the opposite view, I am constantly looking up at the hutte and it was nice to look down onto Schaldming. Some people slept, others took 500 photos and some decided to climb the steel cords that were attached to the house.
After about 45 minutes, those who wanted to continued the hike up to the top of Sinabell; about a half hour hike up. Once you got to the top it was just incredible! You could see the entire Tauern- Region of mountains and if you turned around you could see behind the Dachstein-Region of mountains. It was amazing. After a few hundred photos up there we began the hike down the mountain. Along the way we met some ponies that wanted to be our friends, there was even a baby pony with them and he and I became good buddies as I fed him dandelions. We got back on the bus to go home and it just smelt like sweat and feet. For the most part everyone’s backs were saturated. Sweating is great. Many, including myself had a lovely little sunburn. Once we got back to Schaldming Emma and I thought it was a good idea to go jump in the river! So we did. Three times.. Later that night some brave fellows decided to have a hot sauce competition with peppers, Tabasco sauce and Frank’s Insanity Sauce. There was crying. There was red faces. It was brilliant.
Thus concludes the last two weeks of my life. Enjoy :D

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. fantastic journey... thanks for sharing... now on to FB to enjoy the pictures!
    Love Ya HEAPS!!!!
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds awesome! I love that you got to get the reverse angle on your window! :) It is certainly beautiful there - just glorious to not be surrounded by buildings all the time!

    ReplyDelete